Saturday, October 18, 2014

Green Eggs and Ham

This is the last in my How, How, How, Where series of posts.

Where I Write

From what I've read, most everyone has their own idea of what place is best for writing. Some need an office, some write in a cottage, some write in coffee shops or pubs. There really are no hard rules on where you can write. It's one of the really great freedoms of the craft.

Honestly, I feel like Dr. Seuss when I discuss writing locations...

Do you write in a box?
Do you write with a fox?

Do you write in a house?
Do you write with a mouse?

Do you write here or there?
Do you write anywhere?

So, yeah. I write anywhere. 

My favorite place is in the den on my dilapidated old couch. It was a gift. From my grandmother. So, I'm obligated to keep it forever. 

She found it at a garage sale for ten bucks. I think it might have been in a frat house at some point.

It is also a faded, purple, tan, and blue paisley. It's just as hideous as it sounds, I assure you. I would post a picture, but I don't want to frighten you.

My second favorite place to write is in the car. Not when I'm riding. Nope. When I'm sitting somewhere, usually waiting to pick someone up, and I have time to roll down the windows and open the sunroof. Just chillin'.

Beyond that, anywhere is fine. I've written on crowded planes, in cramped hotel rooms, on the bus (and subway), in Starbucks during the morning rush, and on a park bench at several different parks. And a few dozen other places. It really doesn't matter. If I'm in the writing frame of mind, I tend to tune out the world anyway. 

So, for the moment, I am without a desk. I may get a desk one of these days (and an office to put it in), but for now I'm diggin' the Dr. Suess writing lifestyle. 

Do you write here or there? Do you write anywhere?

How about everywhere?


No comments:

Post a Comment